Mothers, Artists, Makers (MAM) is an evolving, self-organised group of mothers who identify as artists and theatre makers. We are highly skilled and experienced practitioners of writing, acting, directing, producing, publicity, design, and education. We have almost 250 members on the island of Ireland, and are expanding internationally.
MAM aims to:
- Highlight the causes and effects of the disappearance of theatre practitioners who are mothers.
- Establish structured, dignified pathways back to work for theatre practitioners who have taken time out from their career to parent.
- Collaborate with theatre organisations, venues and companies to develop family friendly work policy and practice.
What MAM does:
- We provide support and networking opportunities for MAMs through regular meetings and online conversation.
- We foster creative opportunities for MAMs through workshops and liaisons with theatre makers in Ireland.
- We advocate for political and social change that will improve working opportunities for MAMs.
Other activities include:
Reversing assumptions that surround parenting artist and maternity by promoting a ‘See it, Say it’ approach for all working in the creative industries to confront and address discriminatory practices.
Promoting Family Friendly Theatre Practice in partnership with venues and organisations.
Creating and maintaining a database of MAM as tool for networking, collaboration, and visibility.
Supporting Waking The Feminists , Parents in Performing Arts in the UK, and Mothership in Ireland, to develop and share examples of best practice for parents in the creative industries as our way of redressing the gender imbalance in the Irish Theatre workplace